Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Potential causes of pre-term labor/delivery

The OB doctor that performed the c-section called today. He said that I have a bicornuate uterus (heart shaped). This can cause miscarriage, intrauterine growth retardation and preterm labor/delivery. I did not know that my uterus was different shaped. I guess it means I have a big heart, just kidding. In San Diego they never mentioned this to me when I had the ultrasound in December. This is not a contraindication to pregnancy, just puts the women in the "high risk" pregnancy category. I guess when I call the OB clinic with questions or problems they will call back (had some issues in San Diego when I had the bladder infection). Also I had a bladder infection in November which contributed, although was treated with antibiotics. This prior infection affects the space between the placental and the uterus. The knot in the umbilical cord was also an odd against him. This puts my mind at ease that I did not do anything to induce the preterm labor/delivery. It's just very frustrating because I don't smoke, drink alcohol and have never done drugs. It must have been God's plan for Abraham to be born so early. He was very active today however he needed rest so we are back at the Fisher House tonight to get some sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, hope you are hanging in there. I will pray for you and your baby. I know when you came over to pick up the pack and play I had told you that they were sending Tyler to the endocrinology dept at Childrens because he was between the 5th and 10th percentile for his age as far as height and weight. We went to endo and they stated that since I had the same kind of uterus you do that he ran out of room to grow, one of the reasons he was so small at birth and his body had to regulate itself in the womb but eventually he should catch up. They are going to continue to monitor him for the next couple of months still just to be sure he doesnt need any growth hormone injections or anything. I am surprised they didnt see at your first ultrasound that your uterus was heart shaped. I had already known but when they did my first ultrasound they picked it up right away and my doctor put me on high risk and told me that there was a good chance he would be preterm. They had done ultrasounds on me once or twice a month just to monitor it. He was a few weeks early but had he been pre term my doctor said he probably would have only been one or two pounds also. Hang in there and give him all of your love, which I am sure you are. I am not sure if you had a chance to go through the boxes of stuff I gave you but there are some preemie t shirts and onesies in there. I will keep you in my prayers, take care and try and get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I am not sure why they did not pick it up on ultrasound. They did 2 ultrasounds one at 9 weeks and one at 19 weeks. I looked back at the ultrasound pictures and he seems to be very crammed in there. I am not sure if other babies look this way too. Thank you for the clothes and other baby supplies. I will look for the preemie t-shirts and onesies.Since we just moved here a week before his happend we did not get a chance to unpack. Right now he can't wear clothes because of the breathing tube and ohter monitors. He is in an isolette that regulates his body temperature. He was 14 weeks early, due date was May 5th and he was born 2/2/09. I am so scared to ever get pregnant again.I am exhausted so I am headed to bed.

    ReplyDelete