Thursday, February 26, 2009

2/25/09 update

Abraham is alert and his nurse said "he has a personality" "I am getting attached to him". She thinks he is going to do just fine. He likes to pull off the bandage from his neck. The other day a nurse scrubbed his neck and now he has a painful looking sore on it (skin is very sensitive in little ones). He is getting some breast milk (1 ml, 1 teaspoon is 5 ml), every 3 hours) in his nasal-gastric tube. The lactation consultant said that I am producing almost enough breast milk for him, only need 5ml more, 1 teaspoon. The neurosurgery nurse practitioner came by today and indicated that he might not need a shunt placement now because the ultrasound is not showing any increase. He had 2 positive blood cultures so if he needs surgery this delays it. He might need the PICC line that was just put in taken out due to the positive blood culture. Please pray that he won't need the shunt placed, the infection clears up and that he won't need another PICC placed. Placement of the PICC and having one in actually increases infection risk however his is how he gets most of the nutrition to grow from. I might get to hold him tomorrow.


  1. I'm so glad to hear that he is doing so much better! We love you guys!

  2. That makes my day!!! I am SOOOOOO happy that today is such a good day. I love you guys!!!