Thursday, June 11, 2009

June 11, 2009

Abe and I went to Seattle yesterday. We were gone for over 12 hours however all the providers allowed us to keep our appointments even with household flu exposure. It was very stressful managing all the equipment and getting the ferry. Next week we have to get the 0620 AM ferry. I did not know the whole outpatient process. You have to draw a number to even check in for appointments so we were a few minutes late despite arriving a whole hour before. I took my time, pumped in the car, talked to another NICU mom and had breakfast. Next time I will know to check in right away or at least draw a number. Glenn does not have the results of which flu he has. The flu makes you feel awful however please keep in mind that healthy adults are much more likely to recover and not have any complications. On the other hand if Abe got the flu he would be more likely to require being hospitalized or have complications. Those at greatest risk would for complications would be the very young/old, chronic health conditions such as heart problems, asthma, ect. For those people who have been around us please see the CDC (Center for Disease Control) website for more information. Not everything you read on-line is accurate however I trust the CDC website. Eye doctor: no change in eye exam. Abe was screaming when she was trying to talk to me so I don't completely understand the results. I told the nurse this so she is going to mail me a copy of the notes. OT: impressed that he is able to breast feed (she indicated that she did not think he would be able to). He took 10 cc from the breast and 30 from the bottle during the appointment. She advised pre/post breast feeding weights but questioned the accuracy of the scale we have at home. She also advised to try oral feeding bottle/breast for day time feedings, alternating between both. She felt that he is only going to come off the tube feeding if we show how much he takes with a bottle. The neurodevelopmental nurse practitioner was very sweet. Her only concern about his development: holds head to side instead of centered otherwise she felt that he acting like his adjusted age of 1 1/2 months. Dietitian wants to increase his tube feedings by 2 cc every week. Social worker: gave us information on resources. Abe went to the peds clinic at the Naval Hospital today. We finally met his primary care doctor. She is very sweet. His weight is 10 pounds 12 oz and he is 22.5 inches long. I was not impressed with one of the coreman when he was getting the flu screening. She asked me "does have any symptoms?" "No" then "he does not qualify for this". I explained the 14 weeks early and chronic lung disease and home exposure. During the process she questioned the RN's technique right in front of me. The nurse finally told her "I don't' need any more comments and I am sure the mother does not either". She also stuck her bare finger in his mouth. I promptly said let me do that. When she walked me to the breast feeding room I told her that it's not recommended to stick your bare fingers in other people's baby's mouth. She told me "I had just washed my hands". I did not say this but was thinking this "I don't care if you washed your hands in bleach, your fingers are not going in my kid's mouth". I don't even like my fingers in his mouth. They don't really even like him coming to the clinic because of the risk of infection why would I welcome germs from someone else directly in his mouth. I was going to report this on my way out however they were in a meeting. Please pray for us. Pray that we don't get the flu and pray that I will be a good mother. well I need to start his feed and take a nap.

3 comments:

  1. You're a great mom, Abe has the perfect one for him. Blessings to you all I am praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You did that whole day with all the equipment and the ferry and everything with no one there to help you! I am way impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so strong!
    I talked to Lois about her trip up and she said that Abe looks perfect. She had a great time visiting you guys.
    Love you lots,
    Lynn :)

    ReplyDelete