Friday, November 11, 2011

33 months

Last week Abe turned 33 months which means in 3 month our baby will be 3 years old. I can't believe how far he has come. He is signing and saying more words every day. Currently he has an ear infection which has caused fevers, vomiting, decreased appetite. However NO inpatient stay however today is only day 2. He did eat a little and play plus army crawl around the house. I was so frustrated yesterday. I had no idea peds at Naval Hospital shut down the phones from 11-1pm. I can understand lunch time, ect. Maybe they had a meeting, not sure however the after hours advice line would not page the on call doctor. I was very concerned about Abe. He was mad the day before when I left to my post op appointment so he banged his head on our hard wood floor. Glenn did put him in his bed, which is padded to protect him because he kept banging even against Glenn. Poor guy probably had an ear ache and we had no idea. He played and ate well that day but not yesterday. He did not want to eat anything, took a few drinks of juice, kept falling asleep which is usual for him unless he has the flu or pneumonia and really was not himself at all. I immediately thought VP shunt problem. I made prefect sense to me as a nurse and mother of a kid with a VP shunt. After all he had banged his head on the hardwood floor when he was mad the day before. After numerous calls to peds at Naval I finally got in touch with someone. Neurosurgery from Children's called too. They thought maybe mild concussion and a respiratory virus. He does not have a runny or stuffing nose and only an occasional cough plus his oxygen level was 100% on room air. I just knew something was not right with him. Although I have not been cleared to lift him, not for a few more days, I loaded him up and headed to the freeway. I debated Children's or Naval ER then the RN at peds called me and booked an appointment for the next hour. Glenn met us there to lift Abe and the wheelchair. There was no way I was going to lift the wheelchair if technically I am not supposed to lift Abe yet. He perked up when we got there and it is an ear infection. That diagnoses never even crossed my mind since I knew he had hit his head plus was exposed to croup. Between 11 and 1 felt like forever for a return call or getting a hold of a live person. I exactly am going to inquire what the policy is for peds clinic. My post op appointment went well and everything is healing just fine. I still have stitches that will dissolve with time. On a side note a few weeks ago I was extremely sleep deprived, on medications, a week out of surgery so I probably was not thinking too clearly. Abe was not receiving a teacher for the vision impaired so I inquired and would not take NO for an answer. He several months without it despite it being in his IFSP. The school said they usually don't accept IFSP from parents (I hand delivered it in September). I don't know what the hold up, possibly contracts between Holly Ridge and the SKSD however my kid is going to get every service he requires bottom line. His doctor also put in for vision therapy with a local OD, which is different from what a teacher for the vision impaired would do. We have to make a decision between Madrona or EPO for continued developmental preschool. They seemed to think Madrona would be where he goes. I am not sure I want him there. Most of the kids are higher functioning and walking, 10 kids to 2 adults. Can they really make sure no one steps on or trips over Abe. Also will they have enough staff to help him into a chair, feed him or will he be ignored. I want to home school him but I think he needs the preschool for the interaction. He will receive ST, PT, OT and a teacher for the vision impaired. Aqua PT will require a referral from general peds. I want him to continue aqua therapy because he loves it and it helps with his constipation. He relaxes his muscles too. Well I plan to go to Mug N Muffin in the morning as long as Abe is healthy enough for dad to care for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment