Saturday, August 14, 2010

Surgery

Abe's surgery went so well that he got to come home instead of being admitted. We stopped by NICU and medical unit to say hi to the staff we know. The NICU doctor that admitted him at Children's last year was so happy to see him doing so well. He is 20 lbs now and 79cm. I got tearful while talking to him because I remember having a difficult conversation last year if we should stop all care. I thought he was going to be unresponsive and unaware of his environment so I questioned his quality of life. It costs millions of dollars to keep him alive in NICU. He was very professional when we had these conversations last year and advised for us to keep going and see what happens. I am so thankful that we kept going. Abe is responsive to his enviroment and is finally rolling from his back to his belly. His trunk and head control has improved. Abe truely is a blessing. He does have some needs beyond other kids but was given to the right family. A father with job security in the Navy for health insurance, income, bulid him stuff, read to him, rough house play and naptime and a mother with nursing experience to advocate for him with all the medical/surgical interventions .Based on Glenn's emails he really misses his son and loves him. I included in his care package a picture Abe colored in his class (well mommy and the teacher helped). I did not explain what it was I just sent it. Glenn emailed me to ask if Abe colored it. Daddy got his first picture from Abe, how sweet. He will take his first airplane ride soon if he continues to do well and not have any post surgical complications.

No comments:

Post a Comment